Important Update regarding online Children's Liturgy of the Word
We will still post weekly Children's Liturgy aids on this page so that you can keep your kids engaged in the weekly readings; however, the resources will not be created and produced by our own parish. We also plan to bring online Children's Liturgy back (should the need still be present) for special feasts and seasons of the year...watch for us this Advent!
Children's Liturgy of the Word - October 18, 2020
Matthew 22:15-21 - Gospel message for kids...
In the Gospel lesson today, Jesus encountered some people who tried to trick Him with a question. They asked Him if people should pay taxes to the government. These church leaders did not like Jesus very much, and they wanted to trap Him, thinking that He might get in trouble if He said that taxes were not important…but if he said that people of God should pay taxes, the Jews might become angry because not everyone liked the Roman government. But Jesus, being the son of God and far more clever than Pharisee tricks, gave them another answer.
He had them show Him a coin, and asked whose picture was on the coin. Well, the ruler (Caesar) was pictured on the coin. So Jesus pointed out that money could go back to the people in charge of the government, because they were in charge of the state. But Jesus also said “give to God what is God’s.”
What belongs to God?
Well, everything! We recognize that we can (and must) use some of our money on things like taxes, groceries, clothes, or whatever else we need to survive. But God is not just another budget line item. We give to Him with our tithing offerings, but we also honor Him by giving our whole lives to Him. We pray; we read our Bibles; and we take care of others. We recognize that He made us, so we belong to Him.
Coins and money and taxes are necessary, but those things don’t last. Eventually, they fade away. Our lives are meant to serve God, because He loves us. He has given us all that we have, and He wants us to have meaningful lives. He gave us His son, Jesus, covering us with His blood and with His love. We live through the practicalities of life on Earth, but we know something better awaits us, because God makes us part of His family and gives us the promise of Heaven. That’s a wonderful thing to remember. Yes, we obey the law here and now...but we also have the good news of the Gospel, which is for eternity!
Pray the Rosary with a Seton Family
Seton Families, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, we want you to know that we are here for you! We know your daily life looks very different these days as you adjust to new circumstances, new schedules, and new challenges.
To the best of our ability, Seton Child Ministry wants to continue to support your family’s faith journey. Below are some links to our favorite websites, YouTube channels, faith-based blogs, and crafts/activities to help you lead your child (and you) into deeper relationship with Jesus, especially during this uncertain time!
Also, follow SetonKids on Facebook to receive the most up-to-date information and daily encouragement, ideas, and activities to help lead your family through this crisis.
We are praying for you—we are here for you. Please reach out to Ann Ryan with any Child Ministry needs, prayer requests, or general support.
- Saddleback Kids: Saddleback Kids, the children’s ministry at Saddleback Church has developed fun and creative ways to teach children about God’s word. Great for Bible story videos!
- Crossroads Kids Club: Bible story videos and other content that the whole family can experience and enjoy.
- Lifetree Kids: Lifetree Kids has your favorite Group Vacation Bible School videos, plus bonus fun, educational, and faith-based videos for kids. All of our praise and worship songs come from this channel—get your wiggles out with some great music praising God!
- Catholic Kids Media: An effort to evangelize the culture, providing quality Catholic programming for kids. Helps kids understand and love the strange and wonderful thing that is Catholicism so that they might live Christ-centered lives.
- Holy Heroes: Helping you bring the joy of the Catholic faith to your family.
- Catholic Icing: A great resource for Catholic parents filled with activities and crafts that connect kids with their Catholic faith.
- Meaningful Mama: Faith-infused parenting, kid, activity, and craft ideas.
- Equipping Catholic Families: Celebrating Catholic family and faith with crafts, catechesis and traditions!
- Real Life at Home: Practical tips and resources for learning, creating, and celebrating with your family all year.