Food is collected the 1st weekend of every month. The last weekend of the month, the We Share committee places a flyer in the bulletin, asking parishioners to bring specifically requested food and/or toiletries to church the following weekend to fund various local food pantries. Cash is also accepted in the box in the vestibule. Every month different disciples load the truck of food donations at Seton and deliver and unload the truckload of non-perishable groceries to the food bank assigned. A yearly schedule is set by the pantries and an updated list of pantries, their needs, and the population served is obtained.
We Share Responsibilities:
- Call Food Pantry/Church selected for that month and get an update list of “most needed or requested” items.
- Write an announcement for Fr. Joe to read the weekend before the collection. This is to be e-mailed to Fr. Joe by Tuesday preceding the weekend. The collection date is always the first full weekend of every month. There are some exceptions, but it is important to have consistency.
- Make a flyer for the bulletin that talks about that month’s recipient and provides a list of items needed. Put this in a word document and e-mail to Sue Switalski. This is due the Tuesday before the weekend of the announcement.
- The weekend of the collection requires that all donations left in the gathering space be taken back to Sippel Hall.
- Arrange for the delivery with the food pantry, bring items to them, drop off and give them Sue Switalski’s business card.
- E-mail Sue Switalski with a recap of the comments from the agency where the delivery was made. These are put into the bulletin to thank our parish.
Volunteers needed: we appreciate volunteers with larger vehicles. Some deliveries can fill the back of a pick-up truck or fill a van. We also need people to load and unload groceries and coordinate with the pantry and make the delivery. Some flexibility in schedule is needed to coordinate with the pantry during their open hours.